Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Title
    Premium Member

What equipment will I need to start processing my own .223 Remington brass.

I'm slowly acquiring what I need to reload .223 Remington for use in an AR-15. I've got the presses and dies and primers. I have a dry tumbler. For now I'm getting some processed brass from Wes, and will be getting the powder and bullets soon. Long term I want to process the brass myself. Can y'all help me make a shopping list of what I will need to get to process the brass myself? Up until now I just loaded for pistols, so no trimming or annealing so far. I know there's videos on how to do the processing on YouTube. I'll end up going through them. I just want to get a shopping list together so I can start saving. If it matters, my presses are all Lee, as are my priming and depriming tools and most of my dies. Thanks for the help.

Title
    If you’re doing bulk .223 or just wanna save some time you should look into the Giraud tri-way trimmer. Trims, chamfers, and deburrs all in one step! It’s a little pricy BUT eventually you’ll get tired of doing the process in 3 steps instead of 1 and your hands will thank you. If you only have processed brass from Wes you wouldn’t need a primer pocket swager or military crimp remover. If you get bulk brass then it’d be a good idea to invest in one of the two. I use the RCBS small primer pocket military crimp remover. Toss the tool in a drill chuck and go to town
    An armed society is a polite society

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jrmorgan123 View Post
    I'm slowly acquiring what I need to reload .223 Remington for use in an AR-15. I've got the presses and dies and primers. I have a dry tumbler. For now I'm getting some processed brass from Wes, and will be getting the powder and bullets soon. Long term I want to process the brass myself. Can y'all help me make a shopping list of what I will need to get to process the brass myself? Up until now I just loaded for pistols, so no trimming or annealing so far. I know there's videos on how to do the processing on YouTube. I'll end up going through them. I just want to get a shopping list together so I can start saving. If it matters, my presses are all Lee, as are my priming and depriming tools and most of my dies. Thanks for the help.
    Definitely a Giraud tri way trimmer, even if you're doing small batches to start with. It's worth it's weight in gold.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Instead of buying a Giraud I purchased a WFT 2. Already had an RCBS case prep center, and needed a good 1/2 inch cordless drill.(DeWalt cost a small fortune from the DeWalt store). I trim 223/5.56 and 30-06 with the WFT. Already had an RCBS manual case trimmer. I use a Lyman Turret Press. Keep my dies set up. Don't need to readjust. I think it's better consistentcy.
    Use manual scale and powder measure. No warm up. Consistency.
    Just my 2 cents worth..

Title
    Premium Member
    Lee products are affordable. Most of my equipment is RCBS. Have a Dillon resizer and a Vickerman Straight Line seating die. Consistency.
    fredpete2@aol.com

Title
    Is space an issue?

Title
    Premium Member
    I live in an apartment. 2 bedrooms. Not very big. Have repurposed computer desk for bench. RCBS accessory plate screwed to the 3/4 inch plywood top. 3 sets of shelves.
    One utilizes all available resources.

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Peterman View Post
    I live in an apartment. 2 bedrooms. Not very big. Have repurposed computer desk for bench. RCBS accessory plate screwed to the 3/4 inch plywood top. 3 sets of shelves.
    One utilizes all available resources.
    Absolutely! I'm in an apartment as well. The only space I have is the buddy bar between the kitchen and dining room...

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Title
    Right, so the triway is probably your best use of space. The gadgets I have take up real estate.... one of the reasons I want a triway

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro